Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
January 30, 2014 12:00:00 AM
- 3 poblano pepper
- 3TBSP olive oil
- 1 lbs chopped yellow onion
- 1TBSP, minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 cans (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roast poblano pepper directly over the flame of a gas burner, turning frequently with tongs, until evenly charred. (Alternatively, char under the broiler, turning once or twice, for 5 to 7 minutes total.) Transfer to a deep bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to steam for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in over medium heat. Add yellow onion, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika and ground Chipotle and cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables for the sauce are cooking peel the pepper, discard the stem and seeds, and chop. Add to the saucepan along with chopped tomatoes, broth and chopped cilantro. Return to medium heat and cook, uncovered, at a steady simmer, until the liquid has reduced slightly and the tomatoes have broken down, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a shallow pan to cool Place in the fridge.
- 4 bell peppers – diced
- 3/4 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 diced red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 16 6-inch white corn tortillas
- ¾ cup jack cheese - Shredded
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- To prepare filling: Place dice bell peppers, mushrooms and red onion on a large cookie sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown , about 20 minutes total , Transfer to a large bowl stir in beans. Return to cookie sheet and allow to cool.
- To prepare enchiladas:. In a 9 x 13 pan; Place 1/3 of the filling and 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of the pan. Top with 5 tortillas. Repeat process for three layers finishing with the remaining filling and sauce. Bake for 25 minutes until edges begin to bubble and the center has reached 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven top with cheese and return to oven to melt the cheese. Serve!