January 30, 2014
- 1/2 16-ounce loaf baguette-style French bread
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup shredded baby greens
- 8 small red and/or yellow cherry or pear tomatoes, quartered; or 1/2 cup chopped, seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- For toasts, cut bread diagonally into thin slices. Use the 2 tablespoons olive oil to lightly brush both sides of each slice. Place slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven about 5 minutes or until crisp and edges are lightly browned, turning once. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Place the cooled toasts in an airtight container and store at room temperature up to 24 hours.
- For salad, combine shredded greens, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, cucumber, red onion, basil, capers, and garlic in a salad bowl. Sprinkle the vinegar, the 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt, and pepper over the greens mixture. Toss to coat well. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
To serve, top each toast with some salad. Arrange on a platter. Makes 30.