Living with stroke - resources and support
May 24, 2013
If your life has been touched by stroke, one of the greatest resources you can connect with is your local stroke support group.
There are many benefits of joining a stroke support group, including the opportunity to:
- Socialize in a relaxed environment – feeling connected to a community is incredibly important after a stroke. Isolation can be a significant contributor to depression and deteriorating condition.
- Share your stories, setbacks, and achievements – the connections you establish within a stroke support group are great resources for encouragement and advice. These relationships are also important in challenging you to push forward, continuing to work towards complete recovery.
- Learn something new – education provided at stroke support group events can be priceless! There is an incredible amount of information regarding navigating life after stroke and this is a wonderful venue to hear information and ask questions. Common topics of discussion:
- Communication challenges
- Altered functional abilities and independence
- Role changes
- Nutrition and exercise
- Depression and emotional labile
- Connect with community resources – there are many resources available within the community. Take advantage of all the tools at your disposal to optimize your stroke recovery journey.
If you are looking for a support group in Seattle, consider visiting the Swedish Stroke Support Group.
Next meeting: Tuesday, May 28th, 2-3pm
Location: Cherry Hill, James Tower, SECC
Contact: 206-320-3200 or www.swedish.org/strokesupportgroup
Stroke survivor magazines may also be a great resource: