Golden-Crusted Brussels Sprouts
December 14, 2011
Source: Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson. (Celestial Arts, Berkeley, 2007).
- 24 small Brussels sprouts, trimmed with ragedy outer leaves removed.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated cheese of your choice
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half from step to top and gently rub each half with olive oil, keeping it intact. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Place sprouts in pan, flat side down, sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes; the bottoms of the sprouts should only show a hint of browning.
- Once just tender, turn up the heat and cook until flat sides are deep brown and caramelized. Use a metal spatula to toss once or twice.
- Season with more salt, pepper and dusting of grated cheese.