Warm Wild Rice Harvest Salad Recipe
November 07, 2011 12:00:00 AM
- 2 cups wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 1 yellow sweet onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 8 baby Satsuma oranges, segments
- 1 apple diced, placed in bowl of lemon juice
- 1 large bunch spinach, washed and cut into strips
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup pecans, toasted (10-12 minutes in 350F oven)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place rice in pot with broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash and prepare other ingredients.
- Heat onions in saut� pan over medium heat, add onions and saut� until onions translucent. Add coriander and peppers. Remove from heat.
- Once rice is done, remove from heat, remove lid and let cool.
- Combine oranges, apples (with lemon juice), parsley, cranberries and orange zest.
- Add pepper and onion mix and rice and mix gently and completely.
- Garnish with pecans.
Preparation Time: 65 minutes total
Yield: 6, one cup servings.
Original Recipe by Tarynne L Mingione, 2010