How quick? How about 15 minutes? That’s all it takes to create this very satisfying and heart-friendly family dinner. And, after work and the kids’ soccer practice, it just hits the spot. Serves 4.
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon green onion, sliced
- In a large pot, sauté onion and pepper until softened. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and spices.
- Add the rice and beans. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and garnish with sliced green onion.
Per serving: 277 calories, 12 gm protein, 52 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 11 gm fiber, 32 gm sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Brown rice is the whole rice grain and is the only form of rice that contains vitamin E and dietary fiber. It has a wonderful nutty flavor and chewy texture.