Here’s an elegantly easy way to use leftovers from your turkey dinner. Our savory pie is filling, with all the creaminess you expect plus it’s packed with the earthy, sweet flavor of healthy root veggies. Serves 4.
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- Non-stick pan spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 (15-oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- ½ pound cooked turkey breast meat, diced
- ½ cup nonfat half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 2-quart casserole dish with one layer of phyllo dough. Lightly spray with pan spray and repeat with another sheet. Let dough flap over pan edges and set aside.
- Prepare filling: Over medium-high heat, heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Add remaining fresh vegetables and cook 8 minutes or until almost tender. Add chicken broth, fresh thyme, turkey, and frozen vegetables, and stir to mix.
- While mixture is bubbling, mix the half-and-half with cornstarch and add to vegetable mixture, mix until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Cover with single layer of phyllo dough, spray with pan spray and repeat with second sheet. Fold in excess dough over the top of the pie. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown. Let pie sit 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 321 calories, 24g protein, 46g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 3g mono fat, 50mg cholesterol, 438mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Pot pie is designed to use the odds and ends from your refrigerator. Consider color and texture to keep this comfort food one of the family’s favorites.