We’re trying to eat at least one vegetarian dinner per week without losing flavor. We really like the blending of these flavors. You’ll never even miss the meat! Serves 4.
Try this with: Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 cups broth, vegetable, low-sodium
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon each black pepper and oregano
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 summer squash, thinly sliced
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces crumbled goat or blue cheese
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth and water to boil. Add lentils, garlic, black pepper and oregano. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a vegetable steamer, steam broccoli, summer squash onion, and carrots until tender.
- In large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil and mustard. Add all ingredients, except cheese, and toss until well coated.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
Per serving: 358 calories, 22 gm protein, 43 gm carbohydrate, 13 gm fat, 4 gm sat, 6 gm mono, 11 mg cholesterol,18 gm fiber, 212 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Try this recipe using red lentils, which are a wonderful color, or French lentils, which are smaller, cook even faster, and hold their shape better.
Nutrition Goldmine: Lentils are an excellent source of folic acid and fiber, and broccoli and squash provide lutein.