We demonstrated this by featuring our Low-Sodium/Low-Fat Banana Bread recipe. Many of you loved the taste better than higher sugar, higher fat versions! You can halve this recipe to make 1 loaf. I have made this recipe using 1 cup Greek yogurt in place of the buttermilk and vegetable oil. You could make this gluten free by using a brown rice flour or gluten-free flour blend!
Also, see below for some other tips on how to slim down your favorite foods without sacrificing flavor:
Additional Flavor Ideas to Mix and Match:
- Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, etc)
- Diced apple or pear
- Banana slices
- Mixed berries
- Dried fruit (raisins, dried cranberries, prunes)
- Almond or peanut butter
- A tablespoon of flax seed or chia for healthy essential fatty acids
- Honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar for sweetness
- Scrambled egg for protein
Thank you to everyone who stopped by for the first week of National Nutrition Month yesterday! It was a big success and you made it possible! The overall feedback we received was very positive for the Kale salad we shared, even those who thought they didn’t enjoy kale! This proves a great example of exploring new, nutritious foods to add to your current diet that you might not have tried (or liked) before.
For those who found the below recipe too salty, you can reduce the sea salt to 1/2 teaspoon and add just ¼ cup of gorgonzola cheese. The sea salt is pertinent to “massage” the kale which helps tenderize the leaves. You may also substitute gorgonzola cheese for a reduced-sodium goat cheese or feta instead. Enjoy!
Massaged Kale Salad
We’ve prepared 12 recipes – in honor of Seattle’s 12th Man – that are easy and healthier than your typical fried, fatty foods. Enjoy and Go Hawks!
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large english cucumber, cut into sticks , leave skin on
- 1 small white onion sliced
- 4 ribs celery cut into sticks
- 1 medium Jicama peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 red bell pepper cut into strips
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 10 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Combine ...
- 12 whole new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- finely chopped rosemary
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Generously add salt. Boil until fork-tender.
- Drizzle olive oil on a sheet pan.
- 1/1 cup olive oil
- 1 TBSP chopped garlic
- 1/2 cups white wine
- 2 cans diced tomatoes in juice
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp Fresh Rosemary leaves chopped
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans Great Northern or Cannellini beans – drained and rinsed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in...