Like lycopene? You should! This cardiovascular disease-fighting nutrient is found in tomatoes, along with potassium, Vitamin C and folate. Sharp, zesty Parmesan and a sprinkling of fresh basil make tomatoes truly tasty! Best in summer when tomatoes are at their peak, so grow your own or look for them at Farmers’ Markets. Serves 4.
- 2 large, red tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vinaigrette or bottled Italian, low fat salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Turn on oven to broil.
- Cut tomatoes in half and place cut side up on broiling pan.
- Divide basil between 4 tomato halves, and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Divide Parmesan cheese among 4 tomato halves covering the basil.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and the tomatoes are softened.
Per serving: 45 calories, 2 gm protein, 4 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 2 gm cholesterol, 1 gm fiber, 47 mg sodium