This savory accompaniment to any meat or dish is nutritionally rich while providing appealing color contrast. Think white to pair: beneath grilled fish or a poached egg; or at the side of pork or chicken. Serves 4.
Try this with: Pork Dijon with Chutney and Whipped Winter Squash
- Canola oil spray
- 2 pounds whole Swiss chard, washed
- 1 shallot or ½ small onion diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Remove chard stems and chop. Stack leaves and cut across in 1" strips.
- Spray pan with oil and add shallot. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the stems and 2 tablespoons water, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add leaves, remaining water, and nutmeg. Continue to cook for 1-3 minutes. Turn often using tongs until tender.
Per serving: 50 calories, 4 gm protein, 10 gm carbohydrate, 0 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 gm fiber, 484 mg sodium