Unfortunately, there are no approved treatments for food allergies today. Individuals cope by avoiding the food and having proper medications nearby in case of an allergic reaction. As most children eventually outgrow some food allergies, it’s important to get tested for an accurate diagnosis.
To diagnose a food allergy, allergy specialists usually ...
1. Eating together encourages family togetherness
- Positive family mealtimes help family members maintain relationships and feel a sense of belonging
- When children can count on regular time with a parent or adults, they feel loved, safe and secure
- Children set roots for a lifetime as they experience their family’s values and traditions
2. Eating together fosters happy, well-adjusted kids
- Kids can feel accepted by their family and may not need to seek approval from the wrong crowd
- Adolescents are less likely to be depressed and generally have a better self- esteem
- Adolescents are less likely to smoke cigarettes, use marijuana, illegal drugs or alcohol
3. Eating together helps kids do better in school
- Listening to grownups at the table exposes children to new works which helps them read better
- Table talk gives youth a safe place to express their ideas. They ....
An iPad allows staff to teach patients about a new diagnosis while making it fun and interactive. An iPad provides a visual and hands on way to teach about a diagnosis and also make sure the patient understands their diagnosis. There are many apps designed by healthcare professionals for diagnosis education with kids. Some of these applications include: “Medikidz explains Type One Diabetes”, “Blast Those Blasts” (for children with cancer, specifically leukemia), “Flow Breather” (for children with cystic fibrosis) and “Wellapets- Asthma Education Pets for Kids.”
Helping kids prepare for a procedure or experience
Most pediatric patients ...
Recently, there has been a lot of discussion in the media about a severe type of respiratory illness affecting many children, mainly in the Midwest. The respiratory illness, caused by an infection with Enterovirus D68, is scary to parents, because it’s hard to differentiate whether their child is ill from this particular virus or just has one of the many other viruses that cause cold- and flu-like symptoms around this time of year.
Sometimes media reports leave families with more questions than answers, which is why Dr. Dianne Glover, one of Swedish’s pediatric infectious disease specialists, wanted to share this information with you:
Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) is an unusual form of an otherwise common group of viruses referred to as Enteroviruses. These are hardy viruses that usually spread by the respiratory route, but can also spread by fecal-oral route. It is even possible to become infected by touching a surface contaminated with these viruses.
EV-D68 causes a respiratory illness which can quickly progress from a child behaving like they have a simple runny nose and mild cough to then having serious difficulty breathing. Children ....
Vomit from pyloric stenosis usually consists of just milk or formula. Any vomit with color should raise suspicion for other diagnoses. Parents report vomiting from pyloric stenosis as forceful and projectile. Infants are often hungry after vomiting, wanting to continue eating, however eating usually continues the cycle of vomiting.
How to treat pyloric stenosis
A typical scenario is a child whose pain seems worst in the mornings after awakening and towards the evening, especially after dinner or before bedtime. Often the child doesn’t want to eat breakfast and if forced, tells his parents he feels nauseated. When asked where the pain is, the child most often points to the area around his belly button.
More often than not, depending on a few other factors, the diagnosis ends up being ...
Pet therapy is a wonderful service that Swedish provides to all pediatric patients and families who are not on isolation precautions. A trained handler escorts a certified pet therapy dog room to room, visiting patients and their families at the bedside, taking the time to provide therapeutic services to all who would like it.
Spending time with an animal has been proven to improve patient’s emotional status and ability to cope with their hospital stay. Each pet therapy partner ...