Pineapple and orange team to create a just-right sweet touch to the bulgur. This processed form of cracked wheat is an excellent source of fiber and easy to cook. Consider it as a pantry staple. Great with our Blackened Salmon.
Try this with: Blackened Salmon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¾ cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- Grated rind and juice of one orange
- ¼ cup raisins
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cooking until translucent, 3 minutes.
- Pour in water, pineapple juice, orange juice, rind, and bulgur. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let stand, covered about 5 minutes more, until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork, mix in raisins and serve.
Per serving: 168 calories, 4 gm protein, 32 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm fat, .5 gm sat fat, 3 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 gm fiber, 7 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Bulgur is a processed form of cracked wheat. It is an excellent source of fiber, easy to cook, and has a satisfying, nutty flavor. This delicious recipe is an excellent introduction to bulgur.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.