Join the (healthy eating) club! Everyone loves a BLT …except your cardiologist. We’ve created a salad inspired by your favorite sandwich that you can enjoy anytime. There’s plenty of protein in the turkey and turkey bacon, lots of fiber in the mixed greens and garbanzos, and “good” fats in the avocado. This salad is just what the doctor ordered! Serves 4.
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 6 ounces roasted turkey breast, cut in cubes
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, chopped
- 1 large tomato, cut in small wedges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 English cucumber, ½ inch diced
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ½ cup packed basil, cut in thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- ½ avocado, cubed
- Toss all ingredients in the bowl, and dress lightly with buttermilk dressing. Garnish with basil ribbons and avocado.
Per serving: 383 calories, 29g protein, 46g carbohydrates, 11g fat, 2gm sat fat, 5g mono fat, 13gm fiber, 287mg sodium, 46mg cholesterol
The Seasoned Cook This salad also shines with tuna, salmon or sardines in place of the bacon. If you miss the BLT as a sandwich, serve with whole wheat tortillas and make wraps. Serves 8.
Makes 1½ cups
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely shredded
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¾ cup green onion, sliced diagonally
- Whisk the buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, and vinegar until blended.
- Add the dill and green onions and stir to blend.
Per 2 tablespoons: 40 calories, 0g protein, 4g carbohydrates, 2g fat, 2g sat fat, 0g mono fat, 4mg cholesterol, 0g fiber, 32mg sodium.
The Seasoned Cook This terrific dressing works equally well on coleslaw. Add more buttermilk for thinner consistency.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.