Add a little zest to breakfast with this south-of-the-border-inspired dish. It takes just minutes to make and everyone can create their own burrito (serves 4)!
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup bottled salsa of your choice
- Canola cooking spray
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inch), at room temperature
- ¼ cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- chili flakes to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, and skim milk.
- In a small pot, mix together the black beans and salsa and heat.
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium high heat, cook eggs until done on one side, flip and cook on the other side. Cut into 4 equal slices.
- Lay tortillas on a work surface and top with eggs, black bean mixture, sour cream, cilantro, and chili flakes to taste. Then roll and eat.
Per serving: 215 calories, 14g protein, 34g carbohydrate, 6g fat, 2g sat fat, 2g mono fat, 124mg cholesterol, 6g fiber, 677mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK If you’re reluctant to toss away the yolk, know that real eggs cost less than egg substitutes.