Red chili flakes and lime make this one-dish supper pop with flavor. This recipe (serves 4) also makes a fun buffet dinner. Everyone starts with a bowl of Pho (pronounced “fuh”) and chooses from a variety of toppings.
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups water
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup snow peas, sliced
- 8 ounces thin rice noodles (usually found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- In saucepan, bring chicken broth and 1 cup water to boil.
- Add chicken, ginger, and mushrooms. Simmer 5 minutes. Add snow peas and simmer 1 minute more.
- In a separate pot, bring 6 cups of water to boil for rice noodles.
- Break and stir in noodles. Remove from heat, cover, let stand 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Portion rice noodles and bean sprouts into deep soup bowls. Ladle on chicken broth mixture. Top with selection of green onions, red chili flakes, cilantro, basil, and lime.
Per serving: 376 calories, 29 gm protein, 54 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 2 gm mono fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 380 gm sodium
THE SEASONED COOK You may substitute other green vegetables, like broccoli or bok choy for the snow peas. Try fish or shrimp instead of chicken.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.