Spanish tapas, or small plates, are all the rage, and you’ll almost always find an omelet on the menu at a tapas bar. Ours is heart-healthy with a variety of vegetables including low calorie eggplant, anti-oxidant rich zucchini and fresh mushrooms. Serve tapas-style in small squares, or in wedges with a fruit salad for a complete meal.
- 1 small peeled eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon each black pepper, paprika
- 8 eggs or 4 eggs and 8 egg whites
- 4 slices from large tomato
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Put diced eggplant in colander; lightly sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. After 30 minutes, rinse well with cold water and drain. Pat dry.
- Heat oil in large skill over medium heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, raisins, black pepper and paprika.
- Lightly coat a quiche pan or 9” baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Then add vegetables and stir together. Pour mixture into baking dish. Place the tomato slices on top. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until inserted fork comes out clean. Cool before cutting.
Per serving: With 8 eggs: 160 calories, 11 gm protein, 10 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono, 282 mg cholesterol, 4 gm fiber, 489 mg sodium With 4 eggs and 8 egg whites: 134 calories, 11 gm protein, 10 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 3 gm mono, 141 mg cholesterol, 4 gm fiber, 515 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK A second zucchini or summer squash can be substituted for the eggplant. To lower cholesterol content, use 4 eggs and 8 egg whites instead of 8 eggs.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.