The title of this menu evokes family dinners — warm, cozy and satisfying. All the chef needs to add is good company and conversation. This recipe can be expanded for a crowd (as is serves 4). Leftovers are great for during the week.
- ¾ lb. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Olive oil pan spray
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet peppers, yellow or red, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon each oregano and basil
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Over medium heat, sauté the chicken in olive oil in a nonstick pan until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Spray pan with olive oil, add onion, peppers, garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and stir. Place the chicken over mixture and pour in wine or stock, and sprinkle with herbs.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat, simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. To test when chicken is done, poke a knife in meat and juices should run clear.
- Mash half of the beans, then add to pot and stir into liquid. Add the rest of beans and simmer for 5 minutes more. Serve in bowls with green salad and crusty bread.
Per serving: 332 calories, 36 gm protein, 29 gm carbohydrate, 8gm fat, 2 gm sat, 1 gm mono,78 mg cholesterol, 6 gm fiber, 559 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK When serving this dish to more active people, spoon it over two ounces of noodles. To save time, prepare the night before to step 4.
Nutrition Goldmine: Sweet peppers are among the most nutrient-dense vegetables you can buy. They contain large amounts of both Vitamin C and beta-carotene, two powerful antioxidants.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.