When the garden begins to flourish, you’ll be glad to have this refreshing salad on your menu. Whether the meal is casual or dressy, it doesn’t matter. This dish makes everything else taste better. Serves 4.
Try this with: Bountiful Barley Pilaf
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and sliced into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups peas
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives
- pepper to taste
- 1 orange
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange peel, finely grated
- Boil green beans for 3 minutes and, if using frozen peas, add them to the beans for the last minute to just thaw. Beans should still be a bit crunchy. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process, drain and put in a bowl.
- Add the scallions, chives, and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, grate the orange peel and mix in with the yogurt and fresh mint.
- Peel the remaining orange skin and fibers and cut into bite size pieces.
- Just before serving, add the dressing to the bean mixture. Place on each plate and garnish with the orange sections.
Per serving: 139 calories, 9 gm protein, 27 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 9 gm fiber, 100 mg sodium
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.