Don’t let curry intimidate you—this recipe is as simple as it is delicious. The nutritional value of the garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) allows this dish to stand alone or be served with fish or grilled chicken. Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or parsley)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and garbanzo beans and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
Per serving: 264 calories, 14g protein, 44g carbohydrate, 5g fat, 1g sat fat, 2g mono fat, 1mg cholesterol, 11g fiber, 44mg sodium (with optional salt: 189mg sodium)
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.