Put some mega in your menu! This savory fritatta showcases green superfoods, those savory superheros that are low in calories and high in nutrients and anti-oxidants. Choose between kale, chard or spinach, pepped up with sautéed onion, garlic and red pepper. A super selection for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serves 4.
- 1 bunch kale, Swiss chard, or spinach (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized julienne
- 4 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat broiler.
- To prepare greens, remove tough ribs and stems and chop leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- In a nonstick, oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until golden. Add red pepper and sauté briefly. Add greens and a splash of water, just enough to wilt the greens. Cover pan and allow the greens to steam until tender, 5-10 minutes, depending on the greens you use. The denser the leaf, the more cooking is needed.
- Whisk whole eggs and egg whites with 2 tablespoons water. Add pepper.
- Remove lid and pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil just until eggs are set, about 6-8 minutes. Remove, cut into wedges, and serve with roasted vegetables.
Per serving: 212 calories, 18 gm protein, 12 gm carbohydrate, 10 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 5 gm mono fat, 216 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 287 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Frittatas can also be made entirely on top of the stove. Turn the heat down very low, cover skillet, and cook until eggs are set. For less than $5 for four people, this is one of the most economical and nutritious main dishes you can make.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.