Muffins are all-time favorites, but laden with fats and calories (purchased muffins contain up to 30 grams fat and more than 600 calories!) they’re true villains. Enjoy our recipe (makes 12 muffins) guilt-free. We’ve added walnuts, for heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. And with the fruit salad (serves 4), you’ve got a winning combination for your family or guests.
Applesauce Nut Muffins
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¾ cup apples, peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the oil, brown sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in applesauce and diced apples.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, spices, and nuts. Stir into the applesauce mixture, just until moistened. Do not overmix.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking oil spray, fill, and bake for 15-18 minutes. Let muffins cool in the pan for five minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
Per serving: 135 calories, 3 gm protein, 21 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 2 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 180 mg sodium
Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 orange, bite-sized pieces, pith removed
- 1 cup grapes, cut in half
- 1 pear, diced
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup slivered almonds or chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- fresh berries in season (optional)
- Stir together the yogurt, honey, and vanilla until smooth.
- Prepare fruit and toss together in a bowl. Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice.
- Combine with yogurt mixture, divide into serving bowls, and top with nuts and raisins
Per serving: 230 calories, 6 gm protein, 44 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm fat, trace sat fat, 3 gm mono fat, 1 gm cholesterol, 5 gm fiber, 50 gm sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Make muffins by the dozen to freeze—take some out at night for use the next morning. Instead of oiling the muffin pan, you can simply use paper muffin cups. Feel free to make the fruit salad with a variety of your favorite fruits, depending on availability.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.