Definitely not your mother’s deviled eggs! An excellent source of protein, our version is much less devilish because we’ve replaced half the egg yolks with low-fat cottage cheese, and then blended it all together with a spike of hot mustard and a pinch of dill. So dig in with a “devil-may-care”attitude…they’re heavenly! Serves 8.
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard or prepared wasabi
- 3 tablespoons nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Place eggs in large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil then simmer 15 minutes.
- Cool eggs by draining hot water and filling sauce pan with cold water 2 or 3 times, then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Carefully crack and remove shells, then cut eggs in half lengthwise and remove yolk portions, discarding half.
- Place remaining yolk portions with next four ingredients in blender and puree until smooth, about 15 seconds.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of mixture in cavity of egg halves. Garnish with dill weed and paprika.
Per serving: 59 calories, 13 gm protein, 2 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 107 mg cholesterol, 0 gm fiber, 266 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Substituting nonfat cottage cheese for half of the egg yolks cuts the cholesterol and fat content by 25% – and no one will know!
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.