If your life has been touched by stroke, one of the greatest resources you can connect with is your local stroke support group.
There are many benefits of joining a stroke support group, including the opportunity to:
- Socialize in a relaxed environment – feeling connected to a community is incredibly important after a stroke. Isolation can be a significant contributor to depression and deteriorating condition.
- Share your stories, setbacks, and achievements – the connections you establish within a stroke support group are great resources for encouragement and advice. These relationships are also important in challenging you to push forward, continuing to work towards complete recovery.
Learn something new – education provided at stroke support group events can be priceless! There is an incredible amount of information regarding navigating life after stroke and this is a wonderful venue to hear information and ask questions. Common topics of discussion:
- Communication challenges
- Altered functional abilities and independence
- Role changes
- Nutrition and exercise
- Depression and emotional labile
- Connect with community resources – there are many resources available within the community. Take advantage of all the tools at your disposal to optimize your stroke recovery journey.
If you are looking for a support group in Seattle, consider visiting the Swedish Stroke Support Group.
Next meeting: Tuesday, May 28th, 2-3pm
Location: Cherry Hill, James Tower, SECC
Contact: 206-320-3200 or www.swedish.org/strokesupportgroup
Stroke survivor magazines may also be a great resource: