Don't put that in your mouth

Don't put that in your mouth

By Kathleen Goetz, MD
Pediatric Emergency Physician

Most parents have experienced a child swallowing something that was not intended to be put in the mouth. Most of the time it turns out to be okay, but not always.  It is always a good idea to check in with your doctor or Poison Control (800-222-1222).

When to worry and what to do if your child swallows...

 

Detergent pods – such as Tide or Cascade
These packets may look like candy but can cause lots of problems, and symptoms may be delayed for 1-3 days: 

  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach aches. 
  • Burns to the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach. 
  • Scarring or perforation of the esophagus and stomach. 
  • Burns to the cornea of the eye.

Magnets

  • New “rare earth” magnets such as Buckyballs have stronger attractive properties
  • Attraction across different areas of the stomach and intestines can cause blockages and perforations
  • Kids may use magnets on the tongue or lips to simulate piercings
  • Any magnet can cause problems
  • Symptoms may be delayed   

Button batteries

  • Button batteries are now more common and have stronger voltage, causing more damage
  • They may stick in the throat they cause breathing problems
  • They may stick in the esophagus where they cause swallowing problems, burns and perforations
  • Symptoms may be delayed

Medications or Chemicals
The effects depend on the type and the amount.  Damage may be delayed and may be serious. 

  • DON’T give Ipecac or induce vomiting unless advised to do so by a doctor or Poison Control.
  • DON’T wait, call Poison Control as soon as you know or suspect – 800-222-1222

Miscellaneous

Most coins, pushpins, earrings, nails, tacks, Barbie shoes and legos pass through the system without causing any problems.  But a few get stuck and don’t always cause symptoms. Here's what you should know: 

  • If your child is having worrisome symptoms such as trouble breathing, call 911.
  • If your child reports the sensation of something stuck in the throat, the next step is an xray so come on in!
  • Even if your child seems fine, call your doctor or Poison Control for advice.
Comments
Blog post currently doesn't have any comments.
Leave comment



 Security code

About the Author

Kathleen Goetz, MD

Kathleen Goetz, MD
Pediatric Emergency Physician

   Keep up with Swedish:

    Check out the Swedish blog

Find a Physician

              Subscribe to
             HealthWatch