There are certain standby recipes that everyone should have. Tabouli is one of them. Have this salad by itself or as a side. It really works well on a buffet table as well. Serves 4.
- 1 cup whole wheat bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 medium tomato, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 scallions, finely diced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Bring water to boil. Stir in bulgur, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Fluff grain with a fork.
- Combine chopped vegetables, scallions, parsley and mint and then add to cooled bulgur.
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil and salt together. Pour over bulgur and vegetables and toss.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator in covered container.
Per serving: 230 calories, 5 gm protein, 31 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm fat, 1 gm sat, 8 gm mono,0 mg cholesterol, 8 gm fiber, 157 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Make sure the water is boiling before adding the bulgur. Add more mint for a zestier taste.