This fast, easy, and heart-healthy dinner salad is why we urge you to keep your pantry stocked with such staples as black beans, corn, and black olives. Hold the shrimp for your vegetarian guests. Serves 4.
Try this with: Easy Baked Tortilla Chips
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon each optional to taste,
- cumin and chili powder
- Optional for more heat: Tabasco sauce to taste
- In medium bowl whisk together all ingredients. Pour in small pitcher and serve with salad.
Per serving: 51 calories, 4 gm protein, 8 gm carbohydrate, 0 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 0 gm fiber, 58 mg sodium
- 4 cups chopped mixed greens to include lettuce and red cabbage
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can corn, drained
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pitted black olives, sliced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 20 medium cooked and peeled shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Layer ingredients, beginning with the greens on the bottom and finishing with the cilantro on top.
Per serving: 287 calories, 20 gm protein, 52 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 50 mg cholesterol, 14 gm fiber, 100 gm sodium
THE SEASONED COOK This meal takes no time to put together. The freshly baked tortilla chips make it special. If you omit the shrimp, you’ve got a well-balanced vegetarian entrée, because high-fiber black beans are also high in protein.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.