The marriage of the curry’s pungent flavor with fresh, cool mango and cucumber is worth celebrating. This recipe is easy enough for a weeknight family meal and special enough to impress company. Serves 4.
Salsa (3½ cups)
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup English cucumber, seeded and diced
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1½ teaspoons each of lime zest and lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Set aside for 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve on top of chicken, meat or fish.
- 2 tablespoons (4-6 cloves) garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced fresh herbs (mint and cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Combine all ingredients and marinate chicken 3 hours or overnight before grilling or broiling.
- Preheat broiler. Discard marinade and broil chicken until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Top with salsa.
Per serving: 243 calories, 30g protein, 20g carbohydrates, 5g fat, 1g sat fat, 3g mono fat, 68mg cholesterol,
4g fiber, 381mg sodium
The Seasoned Cook Aside from its interesting flavors, this recipe’s added bonus is that it can be prepared in advance (up until broiling), making mealtime more relaxed. Consider adding any variety of fresh or frozen fruits for extra color, nutrients, and fiber. For a bold change, serve this dish with black quinoa, shown here.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.