Ratatouille (serves 4 with leftovers) is so versatile that you can use our ingredients here or substitute what you have on hand. Serve it alone or over pasta, polenta, or rice—or satisfy meat lovers by adding a piece of protein. It keeps for days, too. Make a double batch and use leftovers later in the week to serve with grilled fish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1½ inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped in 1" pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped in 1" pieces
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 3 medium zucchini cut in ¾" slices
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots cut in ½" slices
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ¼ cup ripe olives, pitted and sliced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Spray oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté eggplant cubes stirring constantly, until eggplant browns and starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and sauté peppers, onions, zucchini, garlic, and carrots until onions are soft and transparent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, capers, olives, eggplant, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 30 minutes until all vegetables are very tender and liquid is reduced. Then serve.
Per Serving: 195 calories, 7 gm protein, 36 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 3gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 11 gm fiber, 501 mg sodium
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.