We decided to update the traditional pancake breakfast to heart-healthy status. By substituting farina you instantly get a richer tasting pancake. And, the fruit and nuts add a special surprise. Serves 6 (2 each).
- ½ cup uncooked instant farina (such as Cream of Wheat or whole wheat farina)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ripe medium banana, mashed
- ¼ cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Cherry Pomegranate Compote
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine milk, egg, banana and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended and batter is lumpy. Let stand 10 minute and then stir in walnuts.
- Heat lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Pour batter by scant ¼ cupfuls onto pan. Turn when first bubbles break; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with warm Cherry Pomegranate Compote.
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- ½ cup pomegranate cherry Juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Blend in cold juice and mix well. Add cherries and heat over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and serve over pancakes.
Per serving: 285 calories, 7g protein, 52g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 1g mono fat, 32 mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Use any seasonal fresh fruit in season or frozen from the freezer to add color, antioxidants and fiber. For high fiber and nutty texture, use Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Farina, delicious!
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.