The problem with most turkey meatloaves is that they taste dry and bland. That’s why we were determined to prepare the best turkey meatloaf you’ve ever had. One night we put together six mini-meatloaves with different ingredients and held a meatloaf bake-off for our friends. We cut them in bite-size pieces so everyone could have a taste of each one and write down their favorite. This recipe, using grated vegetables and fruit, was the clear winner. Serve with Mashed Curry Cauliflower and your favorite green vegetables. Serves 6.
Try this with: Mashed Curry Cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless ground turkey breast
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup zucchini, carrot, and or apple, grated
- 2 teaspoons savory dried herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, sage, or rosemary)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons spaghetti sauce, low sodium
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sauté onions and garlic in oil until onions are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine onion and garlic with rest of ingredients except spaghetti sauce, and knead with your hands until well combined and binding together.
- Place in an oil-sprayed 4"x8" loaf pan or form a 4"x8" loaf on a sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and spread spaghetti sauce evenly on top. Bake 15 minutes longer, then remove from oven and rest for ten minutes. Slice and serve.
Per Serving: 217 calories, 23 gm protein, 29 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 3 gm mono fat, 47 mg cholesterol, 3 gm fiber, 411 mg sodium