This is a dessert that most people love from their childhoods, but for some reason today it gets overlooked as not “special enough.” But special is exactly what it will be called when you make it. Serves 4.
- 4 baking apples such as Rome or Jonathan Gold
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Core apples to ½ inch of bottom.
- Combine the dry ingredients plus ½ teaspoon of the water in a small bowl and mix, then spoon into the cavities until full.
- Set apples in an 8" x 8" baking pan, pour remainder of water in pan bottom, seal in foil and bake 30 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Serve warm. Optional toppings include a dollop of nonfat frozen yogurt or nonfat sour cream.
Per serving: 93 calories, 0 protein, 24 gm carbohydrate, 0 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 gm mono fat, 2 gm fiber, 5 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Use the remaining mixture by simmering 5-10 minutes and spoon over apples before serving. Make extra apples for breakfast too!