Make Popeye proud! This satisfying soup is ready faster than you can say “I am what I am!” Fresh spinach, low in calories and high in phytonutrients, protein-packed beans and dashes of cinnamon and cumin make this soup super delish! Add depth with fire-roasted tomatoes or smoked paprika. Serves 4.
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium kidney or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 24-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, chopped, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot stir in beans, tomatoes, onions, cinnamon, and cumin.
- Heat soup to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir spinach into soup. Season to taste with pepper.
Per serving: 147 calories, 9 gm protein, 29 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 gm fiber, 583 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK It’s easy to use spinach these days because it comes pre-bagged. Just rinse and cut off the stems. Spinach packs a wallop of beta-carotene and is rich in other vitamins and minerals.