Strawberries in season take center stage in this delightful and delicious dessert (serves 8). Raspberries are equally yummy.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup light molasses
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray and flour 10- to 11-inch round cake pan.
- Beat canola oil and sugar until well blended, add the egg whites. Mix in apple sauce and molasses, blend.
- Add dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Top with fruit puree.
Per serving: 274 calories, 5 gm protein, 50 gm carbohydrate, 7 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 gm fiber, 305 gm sodium
- ½ pound strawberries fresh or frozen and thawed
- Optional 2 tablespoons water
- Puree strawberries (or other fruit) in food processor. Add water if too thick.
- Serve over gingerbread
Per serving: 17 calories, 0 gm protein, 4 gm carbohydrate, 0 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 gm fiber, 9 gm sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Most nights, the heart-healthy dessert choice is fresh fruit, but this recipe is a treat! Dust lightly with powdered sugar for a festive appeal.