SEATTLE, Aug. 17, 2011 - Seattle Metropolitan magazine's annual 'Top Doctors' rankings are in. Nearly 4,000 doctors in the Seattle metropolitan area participated in their new survey. And of the 612 practitioners in 66 specialties who were recognized, 246 are affiliated with - or credentialed to practice at - Swedish.
This year's survey was the result of a partnership between Seattle Met and Avvo. Avvo rates and profiles 90 percent of doctors in the United States, including every physician in Washington state.
According to the monthly magazine, the 2011 survey is more comprehensive than ever, with active participation from almost 40 percent of doctors practicing in King, Kitsap and Snohomish counties as well as parts of Pierce County. Avvo's proprietary algorithims rate doctors on a 10-point scale, employing not only peer endorsements but factors such as experience, education, training, disciplinary history, fellowships, hospital privileges, and awards. Avvo's ratings of the 9,933 doctors in the survey area are regularly refreshed based on new information gleaned from doctors as well as from certifying and licensing boards. The doctors recognized in these survey results represent the top five percent of practitioners in their field as of May 24.
For specialists not included in Avvo's services (e.g., acupuncturists, chiropractors, naturopaths, optometrists and podiatrists) the rankings are based on nominations from doctors, nurses, physician's assistants, and other health-care professionls. Avvo's survey asked those professionals to name the colleagues they would choose to treat themselves and their loved ones. The resulting list of 612 top practitioners in their fields is listed below alphabetically by specialty.
Seattle Met researchers gave each Top Doctor the opportunity to specify areas of focus within his or her practice or exemplary cases recently treated. For example, a doctor in the field of cardiology might list cardiovascular risk assessment, preventative cardiology, diagnostic cardiology and cholesterol management to provide the reader with more context regarding his or her practice. This in no way indicates that the doctor's practice is limited to those aeas of focus.
As of press time, all the practitioners on Seattle Met's list were certified to practice in their fields by the Washington State Department of Health (360-236-4700, option 3; www.doh.wa.gov, click Provider Credential Search).
According to the magazine, they "gave close attention to creating a comprehensive and detailed list, but this reference is best used as just one step in the careful journey toward finding doctors who are right for you."
To view the complete list of 2011 survey results categorized by speciality on the Seattle Metropolitan Web site, click here.
The Swedish-affiliated physicians nominated for this year's list include:
Allergy & Immunology
- Jonathan Becker, M.D. (Adult & pediatric allergy)
- K. Elizabeth Garr, M.D. (Pain medicine, anesthesiology)
- Benjamin J. Geiman, M.D. (Anesthesiology)
- Lori B. Heller, M.D. (Anesthesiology, cardiac anesthesiology)
- Jon B. Olson, M.D. (Anesthesiology, pain management)
- David M. Stout, M.D. (Anesthesiology, cardiac anesthesiology)
- Keiko Aikawa-Rho, M.D. (Cardiovascular disease)
- Peter Demopulos, M.D. (Interventional cardiology)
- John G. Doces, M.D. (Internal medicine)
- George I. Frank, M.D. (Internal medicine)
- Margaret L. Hall, M.D. (Internal medicine, cardiac CT)
- Julie P. Heyn, M.D. (Internal medicine, echocardiography)
- James Willems, M.D. (Cardiovascular disease, nuclear cardiology)
- Marko Yakolevitch, M.D. (Internal medicine, nuclear cardiology)
- Alexander S. Farivar, M.D. (Thoracic and esophageal surgery, robotic-assisted surgery)
- Mark. C. Hannibal, M.D. (Kabuki syndrome)
Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Amir L. Bastawrous, M.D. (General surgery)
Critical Care Medicine
- Kim Gittere Abson, M.D. (Adult and pediatric dermatology)
- Bernard S. Goffe, M.D. (Dermatopathology, psoriasis diagnosis and treatment)
- Brian H. Kumasaka, M.D.
- Paula Zook, M.D. (Adult and pediatric dermatology)
- Mary M. Kelly, M.D.
- Kristin Manning, M.D.
- Jay R. Parikh, M.D. (Clinical breast imaging)
- James Virgil Rogers III, M.D. (PET CT, oncologic imaging)
- Udo P. Schmiedl, M.D.
Ear, Nose & Throat
- Douglas D. Backous, M.D. (Auditory brain stem implants, facial nerve surgery)
- Kathleen Makielski, M.D. (Pediatric otolaryngology, sinus disease, sinus surgery)
- Kathleen O. Stickney, M.D. (Thyroid and parathyroid surgery, pediatric ear conditions)
Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Ken Anderson, M.D. (Sports medicine)
- Richard J. Breuner, M.D. (Family medicine with obstetrics)
- Katherine Brown, M.D.
- Maureen O. Brown, M.D. (Preventive medicine, family medicine with obstetrics)
- LuAnn L. Chen, M.D.
- Linda Jean Clark, M.D.
- Carol J. Cordy, M.D. (Family medicine with obstetrics)
- Vanessa Beth Edrich, M.D.
- Jay Fathi, M.D.
- Suzanne J. Fiala, M.D. (Newborn care, preventive care, routine gynecological care, menopausal care)
- Daniel Friedmann, M.D.
- Jorge M. Garcia, M.D. (Family medicine with obstetrics)
- L. Paul Gianutsos, M.D. (Family medicine with obstetrics)
- Cassandra Giedt, M.D. (Pediatrics, women's health)
- Robert C. Goode, M.D. (Adult family medicine)
- Ann Greaney, M.D. (Women's care, pediatric care)
- Linda Gromko, M.D.
- Kevin Hatfield, M.D.
- Jared M. Hendler, M.D. (Prevention and Wellness)
- Peter Hohn, M.D.
- Glen Kiyonaga, M.D.
- Doborah Klein, M.D. (Primary care, well-child care, women's health)
- Alice A. Krehbiel, M.D.
- Mark L. Lacambra, M.D.
- Mary E. Lambe, M.D. (Travel medicine)
- Kenneth Mayeda, M.D.
- Pamela McDonald, M.D.
- James A. McHugh, M.D.
- Scott T. McIntyre, M.D. (Reproductive health, no-scalpel vasectomies)
- Mark J. Moscovitz, M.D.
- Mitchell J. Peterson, M.D.
- Trish Raymer, M.D.
- Gary Rosen, M.D.
- Ginger Ruddy, M.D. (Obstetrics, pediatrics)
- Joseph A. Shamseldin, M.D. (Sports medicine, family medicine with obstetrics)
- Robbie Sherman, M.D.
- Catherine Smith, M.D. (Women's health)
- Annemiek M. Sontrop, M.D. (Obstetrics)
- James A. Taki, M.D. (Pediatric medicine, geriatrics, sports medicine)
- Michael L. Tuggy, M.D. (Family medicine with obstetrics)
- James Wallace, M.D. (Family medicine with obstetrics)
- Carol L. Waymack, M.D.
- Mary B. Weiss, M.D. (Family medicine with obstetrics)
- Jodie Wohl, M.D. (Women's Health)
- Richard H. Driscoll Jr., M.D.
- David A. Gilbert, M.D.
- Craig Pepin, M.D.
- Darik Taniguchi, M.D.
- Bruce Y. Tung, M.D.
- Susan Altemeier, M.D.
- Steven J. Anderson, M.D. (Pediatric and adolescent sports medicine)
- David Bowe, M.D.
- Michael S. Dudas, M.D.
- Yass Moinpour, M.D.
- Kathy Risse, M.D. (Primary care)
- Gary Spector, M.D.
- Willa M. Terry, M.D.
- Howard M. Uman, M.D.
- Margaret A. Wheeler, M.D. (Asthma, post-hospital care of prematurity, tropical medicine)
- Sherri Zorn, M.D.
- Carol J. Cornejo, M.D.
- Juan C. de La Ossa, M.D.
- Michael G. Florence, M.D.
- Marc D. Horton, M.D.
- Daniel F. Neuzil, M.D. (Vascular surgery, mesenteric revascularization)
- Sam M. Salama, M.D.
- Charles W. Drescher, M.D. (Gynecologic oncology)
- Howard G. Muntz, M.D. (Obstetrics and gynecology, ovary removal, hysterectomy)
- Henry Li, M.D. (Internal medicine, medical oncology)
- Daniel R. Markowitz, M.D. (Medical oncology, internal medicine)
- Richard McGee, M.D. (Internal medicine, medical oncology)
- John S. Pauk, M.D. (Infectious disease, travel medicine)
- Kenji Asakura, M.D.
- Susan J. Baumgaertel, M.D.
- Sarah E. Bork, M.D.
- Nancy J. Brunsvold, M.D.
- Per E. Danielsson, M.D.
- Alex C. Efird, M.D.
- Daniel S. Frank, M.D.
- Milah B. Frownfelter, M.D.
- Bradley R. Harris, M.D.
- Adam Haugo, M.D.
- Michael N. Hayden, M.D.
- Wallace R. Hodges, M.D. (Geriatrics, eating disorders, adolescent medicine)
- Timothy R. Johnson, M.D.
- Thomas S. King, M.D.
- Margo M. Kober, M.D. (Adolescent medicine)
- Jennifer M. Leahy, M.D.
- Elton Lee, M.D.
- Marti H. Liddell, M.D.
- Jeffrey R. Meehan, M.D.
- James F. Nedved, M.D.
- James Papathanasiou, M.D. (Hospital medicine)
- Christopher Pepin, M.D.
- Ralph A. Rossi, M.D.
- Anita M. Shaffer, M.D.
- Gregory Sharp, M.D.
- Aaron C. Shur, M.D.
- Agata Sikora, M.D.
- Christopher Smith, M.D. (Preventive care, nutrition)
- Mary K. Starkebaum, M.D. (Primary care)
- John B. Stimson, M.D.
- Jill A. Summerfield, M.D.
- Paul B. Sytman, M.D.
- Julie M. Thomas, M.D.
- John L. Verrilli, M.D. (Preventive medicine, vertigo, hypertension)
- Jeffrey S. Wolff-Gee, M.D.
Maternal & Fetal Medicine
- Josephine Amory, M.D. (OB/GYN)
- Phillip J. Gold, M.D. (Gastrointestinal oncology)
- Henry G. Kaplan, M.D. (Hematology, blood management techniques)
- Henry Li, M.D. (Hematology)
- Richard McGee, M.D. (Hematology, internal medicine)
- Michael S. Milder, M.D. (Internal medicine, hematology)
- Howard (Jack) West, M.D. (Thoracic oncology, genitourinary oncology)
- David A. White, M.D. (Hematology)
- Robert P. Witherspoon, M.D. (Blood and marrow transplant, leukemia)
Neonatal & Perinatal Medicine
- Rex F. Ochi, M.D. (Internal medicine)
- Robert M. Winrow, M.D. (Hemodialysis, organ transplantation, hypertension)
- James D. Bowen, M.D. (Multiple Sclerosis)
- Todd Czartoski, M.D. (Neurohospitalist medicine, inpatient neurology, cerebrovascular neurology)
- Lawrence C. Murphy, M.D.
- Pavle Repovic, M.D. (Multiple Sclerosis)
- Jehuda P. Sepkuty, M.D. (Epilepsy)
- Greg Foltz, M.D. (Neuro-oncology)
- Marc R. Mayberg, M.D.
- Jayashree Srinivasan, M.D. (Brain tumors, Gamma Knife radiosurgery)
- Timothy D. Steege, M.D. (Pediatric and adult neurosurgery, minimally invasive surgery, Gamma Knife radiosurgery)
Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Richard L. Agress, M.D. (Maternal & fetal medicine)
- Robin E. Cole, M.D. (Adolescent medicine, menopause therapy)
- Tracy Johannsen, M.D.
- Judy M. Kimelman, M.D. (Vaginal birth after cesarean, advanced laparoscopic surgery, ablations)
- Diana Koala, M.D.
- Robert E. Lieppman, M.D.
- Dorcas A. McLennan, M.D.
- Jennifer Melville, M.D.
- Leslie Miller, M.D.
- Emily Norland, M.D.
- Chirag A. Shah, M.D. (Gynecologic oncology)
- Ellen Wilber, M.D.
- George P. Pappas, M.D. (Internal medicine, critical care medicine)
- Janet L. Barrall, M.D. (Cataract surgery, pediatric ophthalmology)
- Timothy P. Carey, M.D.
- Elizabeth S. Choy, M.D.
- Tony Huynh, M.D. (Ophthalmology, vitreoretinal surgery, disease of the retina, macula, and vitreous)
- Richard P. Mills, M.D.
- Kenneth L. Morton, M.D.
- Niraj Patel, M.D. (Ophthalmology, cataract surgery, vision correction surgery, corneal surgery)
- Michael Rizen, M.D.
- Audrey R. Talley Rostov, M.D. (LASIK, conea, cataract)
- William P. Barrett, M.D. (Hip and knee replacement surgery)
- James P. Crutcher Jr., M.D. (Orthopedics)
- Alexis Falicov, M.D. (Orthopedics)
- Daniel L. Flugstad, M.D.
- Jeffrey L. Garr, M.D. (Orthopedics)
- Scott E. Hormel, M.D. (Orthopedics)
- Richard M. Kirby, M.D. (Orthopedics)
- Charles A. Peterson II, M.D. (Orthopedic sports medicine, total joint replacement)
- Robert A. Winquist, M.D. (Orthopedics)
- Ray M. Baker, M.D. (Pain management, spine injections, nerve root blocks)
- K. Elizabeth Garr, M.D. (Pain medicine, anesthesiology)
- David J. Corwin, M.D. (Hematology pathology, anatomic pathology)
- Paul F. Edmonson, M.D. (Gastrointestinal and digestive diseases pathology)
- Charles J. Hunter, M.D. (Dermatopathology, ophthalmic pathology, head and neck pathology)
- Christina Isacson, M.D. (Breast, genitourinary, and gynecologic pathology)
- Nuria Perez-Reyes, M.D. (Cytopathology, nongynecologic cytology)
- Ellen S. Pizer, M.D. (Nongynecologic cytology, perinatal and placental pathology)
- Joseph P. Rank, M.D. (Liver and pancreatic pathology)
- Steven W. Rostad, M.D. (Neuropathology)
- Elizabeth K. Schmidt, M.D. (Anatomic pathology, clinical pathology)
- Sean D. Thornton, M.D. (Anatomic pathology, clinical pathology)
- Ronald J. Tickman, M.D. (Cytopathology, anatomic and clinical pathology)
- Nan Ping Wang, M.D. (Anatomic pathology, clinical pathology)
- Mark B. Lewin, M.D. (Echocardiography, fetal cardiac consultation)
Pediatric Sleep Medicine
- Preetam Bandla, M.D. (Pediatric pulmonary medicine)
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Garrett S. Hyman, M.D. (Sports medicine, physical medicine and rehabilitation)
- Carolyn A. Marquardt, M.D. (Sports medicine, electrodiagnostic medicine)
- David S. Zucker, M.D. (Cancr rehabilitation)
- Daniel L. Downey, M.D. (Plastic surgery, reconstructive surgery)
- Keith T. Paige, M.D. (Cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, breast implants/reduction)
- Richard T. Bouche, D.P.M. (Complex foot and ankle disorders, reconstructive surgery)
- Eric Heit, D.P.M. (Sports medicine, foot and ankle surgery)
- Byron Hutchinson, D.P.M.
- Brandon Nelson, D.P.M. (Sports medicine, foot and ankle surgery)
- Timothy Young, D.P.M. (Sports medicine, foot and ankle surgery)
- Elizabeth Alexander, M.D. (Depression, anxiety, mood disorders)
- Dorcas Dobie, M.D. (Cancer psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry)
- Philip G. Lindsay, M.D. (Adult ADD)
- Kenneth N. Melman, M.D. (Electroconvulsive therapy, transcrainial magnetic stimulation)
- David S. Roys, M.D. (Psychopharmacology)
- Jeffrey M. Cary, M.D. (Internal medicine, sports medicine)
- Derel Finch, M.D. (Critical care medicine, pulmonary arterial hypertension)
- Jed A. Gorden, M.D. (Internal medicine, critical care medicine)
- Jennifer D. Gorman, M.D.
- Philip J. Mease, M.D. (Internal medicine)
- Stanford Peng, M.D. (Lupus, inflammatory arthritis, scleroderma, vasculitis)
- P. Scott Pollock, M.D. (Internal medicine)
- Beth A. Andersen, M.D. (Pediatric urology)
- R. Torrance Andrews, M.D. (MRI and CT imaging, diagnostic radiology, interventional neuroradiology)
- Edmond J. Raker, M.D. (Clinical research, aneurysm surgery, endovascular surgery)