Why Participate in Research?
There are many reasons that people participate in research studies of multiple sclerosis. Each person must weigh these issues and decide what is best for them.
Some of the Benefits of research include:
- Helping others by advancing knowledge about MS and MS treatments
- Gaining access to new treatments or diagnostic tests that are not otherwise available
- Obtain medical care from healthcare professionals who are on the cutting edge of MS treatment
- Actively participate in their healthcare
- Participants in research often have a higher level of monitoring of their health
Some of the risks of research include:
- Experimental treatments may not be as effective as currently available treatments
- Experimental treatments may have side effects
- Many studies have placebo controls, meaning that there is a chance of not being on real treatment
- The research may be time-consuming and inconvenient
Multiple Sclerosis Center1600 East Jefferson
Seattle, WA 98122
Enlarge Text on this page
Scroll down to “enlarge text” on the bottom of the page, then click on the size you would like.