Resources for medical services in our community are listed in this section. This includes where to get information about complementary and alternative medicine, medical equipment and community medical resources. Similar organizations also exist in many areas outside our region. Details are included about how to contact these resources.
Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine sponsored by the National Institute of Health
- www.quackwatch.com - A critical view of alternative therapies.
- http://neurologycare.net/CAM/CAM.aspx - A review of alternative therapies specific for MS.
- The University of Washington Dental School coordinates the Dental Education for Care of the Disabled (DECOD) that provides comprehensive dental care services, as well as mobile van service for home-bound patients, at about half the cost of a private dentist.
Driving, adaptive equipment
- Assistive Technology Solutions provides driver evaluations, driver rehabilitation, vehicle modification consultation and vehicle modification after checks for those with disabilities.
- For confidential 24-hour counseling for persons in crisis contact the Crisis Clinic (206) 461-3222 or toll-free 1-866-427-4747. The Crisis Clinic’s Community Information desk is the best all purpose referral resource in the Seattle area. The Teen Link desk is staffed by trained teen volunteers and can be reached at (206) 461-4822 or toll-free at 1-866-833-6546.
- Clearinghouse on Disability Information Special Education & Rehabilitative Services Communications & Customer Service Team http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/osers
- The prison pet partnership program at the Washington Corrections Center for Women in Gig Harbor trains services animals for those with disabilities.
- Canine Companions for Independence - provides highly trained assistance dogs to people with disabilities and to professional caregivers. Box 446, Santa Rosa, CA 95402-0446, 1-800-572-2275.
- Independence Dogs, Inc. - provides highly trained service dogs for children and adults with mobility impairments. 146 State Line Rd, Chadds Ford, PA 19317 (610) 358-2723, e-mail: email@example.com
- Pets and people, Companions in Therapy and Service Box 4266, West Station, Meridian, MS 39307, Phone (601) 483-8970, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Washington Talking Book & Braille Library (WFBBL) provides a free public library service which includes easy access to the informational and recreational reading materials needed by individuals in the State of Washington who are unable to read standard print material. WTBBL is located at 2021 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121-2783, Phone: 206-615-0400 or 800-542-0866 or (TTY) 206-615-0418 Email: email@example.com
Medical equipment suppliers
- The National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) supports a website that lists more than 25,000 devices to help people with disabilities function better. You may search for medical devices, manufacturers and visit a chatroom to discuss the devices at www.abledata.com.
- Bridge Disability Ministries provide mobility items such as wheelchairs, walkers, commodes, bath benches etc. at no cost to those who can’t afford it. It also provides spiritual care and guardianship services to those with disabilities.
- Care Medical Equipment 4135 Stone Wy, N, Seattle, 98103. (206) 547-2200, rents or sells medical equipment, offering a 15% discount to persons with MS.
- Cascade Medical Equipment, Co, 6500 – 6th Ave NW, Seattle, Phone (206) 782-9185
- Cooling devices: www.polarproducts.com, http://www.steelevest.com/
- MS Helping Hands (MSHH) provides a donor closet for medical equipment that recycles durable medical equipment and mobility equipment to people who have been denied these items by their insurance. The do not sell, rent or loan these items but donations are accepted to help defray operating expenses. www.mshelp.org
- Abbey Medical, 407 Dexter Ave, Seattle, WA , (206) 612-9700
- I.D.E.A. – Innovator of disability equipment and adaptations. Contact for catalogue. 1393 Meadowcreek Dr., Suite 2, Milwaukee, WI 53072
- Pro-Med Medical Equipment – Sales and service of variety of product lines for disabled/handicapped. 2008 NE 150th, Seattle, WA 98155, (206) 364-9268.
- Rock Lyn Medical Supply is a urological and incontinence medical supply company which serves patients throughout the greater US.
- Washington Assistive Technology Alliance - WATA, Assistive Technology Resource Center - Information on high-tech - low-tech devices, communication, education, work, recreation. Legal advocacy, policy development/legislation, electronic information/networking, training; consultation; information/referral; bulletins; brochures; resource lists. (800) 214-8731
Multiple Sclerosis Center1600 East Jefferson
Seattle, WA 98122
Enlarge Text on this page
Scroll down to “enlarge text” on the bottom of the page, then click on the size you would like.