Because of the highly competitive nature of drug and device development studies, speed and efficiency at the trial sites are critical to the sponsor and the reputation of the investigative site. In response to these needs, the Swedish Center for Research and Innovation's goal is to ensure that the clinical trial administrative process can be managed as smoothly and rapidly as possible.
- Directions for initiating your research project through the Swedish Center for Research and Innovation.
- Newsletter - Information about the Swedish Center for Research and Innovation.
- Federal regulations require new disclosures regarding institutional related conflicts of interest. This is in addition to IRB related disclosures. Please follow this link for important information regarding this policy.
For Principal Investigators:
When conducting a study, there are many responsibilities that are included with the title of "Principal Investigator" or "PI". The following links are provided as references tools for you as a PI.
- Principal Investigator Job Description
- Guidance for Industry - Investigator Responsibilities
- Oversight of Individual Financial Interest
- Considerations before beginning a research activity
New Research Regulations regarding Conflict of Interest
Federal regulations regarding financial conflict of interest disclosure have changed and institutions receiving federal funds must comply with the new regulations by August 24, 2012. The new Conflict of Interest policy will apply to all researchers who conduct research under our oversight regardless of institution, source of funding, or research role. In the new regulations there are new definitions of ‘Investigator’ including a relationship to institutional responsibilities rather than related to a specific project, and also the requirement to report travel reimbursed by an outside non-federal entity. More information and tools can be found below.
What is needed NOW?
All Researchers and staff need to complete conflict of interest training prior to applying for new funding and grants, beginning new research projects, or receiving new funding from federal sponsors. Please note this is in addition to the required Human Subjects Protection training that all investigators now take. Training should take between 30-45 minutes and is valid for 4 years. There are 2 required modules:
- Financial Conflicts of Interest: Overview, Investigator (Researchers) Responsibilities, and COI Rules.
- Institutional Responsibilities as They Affect Investigators (Researchers).
These training modules are available through CITI. You can use your existing log-in or self-register. If you are new to CITI please designate “Swedish Medical Center” as an institutional affiliation during the registration process so Research Administration will receive notice of your training completion.
To access the new COI modules:
- Log into the CITI Program: https://www.citiprogram.org/Default.asp
- Select “Add a course or update your learner groups for Swedish Medical Center.
- Select “yes” to Question 5 “Would you like to take the Conflict of Interest, mini-course”
- Complete both modules and the required quizzes.
Information on how to report conflicts of interest:
An email will be sent directly to those Investigators identified within our research program with instructions on how to access and complete the new disclosure through an on-line system. Investigators will have 30 days to complete.
After August 24th IRB and grant applications that do not have documentation of the required training will be delayed until training is completed.
Swedish Center for Research and Innovation
1120 Cherry St., Suite 360
Seattle, WA 98104-2044
Swedish Nursing Quality and Research Conference Aug. 28
Save the date for the Swedish Nursing Quality and Research Conference on Wednesday, Aug. 28 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Swedish Education and Conference Center at Cherry Hill. Swedish nurses’ projects will be presented as posters and oral presentations. Nurses, please consider sharing your work, either finished projects or those in progress. Shared Leadership Council and individual projects are welcome! For questions, contact the planning team at firstname.lastname@example.org.