Red chili flakes and lime make this one-dish supper pop with flavor. This recipe (serves 4) also makes a fun buffet dinner. Everyone starts with a bowl of Pho (pronounced “fuh”) and chooses from a variety of toppings.
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups water
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup snow peas, sliced
- 8 ounces thin rice noodles (usually found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- In saucepan, bring chicken broth and 1 cup water to boil.
- Add chicken, ginger, and mushrooms. Simmer 5 minutes. Add snow peas and simmer 1 minute more.
- In a separate pot, bring 6 cups of water to boil for rice noodles.
- Break and stir in noodles. Remove from heat, cover, let stand 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Portion rice noodles and bean sprouts into deep soup bowls. Ladle on chicken broth mixture. Top with selection of green onions, red chili flakes, cilantro, basil, and lime.
Per serving: 376 calories, 29 gm protein, 54 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 2 gm mono fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 380 gm sodium
THE SEASONED COOK You may substitute other green vegetables, like broccoli or bok choy for the snow peas. Try fish or shrimp instead of chicken.