The silky richness of heart-healthy avocados, rich in folic acid and monounsaturated fats, meets the sparkling tang of pretty pink grapefruit, a good source of lycopene and potassium. Oranges are another sweet, juicy option. Skip the chips and get your avocados in a refreshing new way! Serves 4.
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 ripe grapefruits, peeled, sectioned and skins removed
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced into 12-16 long thin slices
- 1 head romaine or bibb lettuce, or 1 pound mixed salad greens
- Arrange lettuce on 4 salad plates.
- Top with 4 avocado slices, and 6 grapefruit sections.
- Sprinkle chopped onion over fruit.
Per serving: 136 calories, 3 gm protein, 17 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm fat, 1 gm sat, 5 gm mono, 0 mg cholesterol 5 gm fiber, 11 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Avocados are a great source of folic acid, potassium and monounsaturated fats. And, if you’re on a statin, remember to substitute the grapefruit because of potential side effects.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.