Make muffins go the extra mile! Go beyond butter and jam, and match whole wheat English muffins with healthful, calcium-rich, low-fat cottage cheese or crunchy, protein-packed peanut butter. The hardest part is choosing a topping – so, split your muffin and try one of each. Serves 4.
- 4 100% whole wheat English muffins
- 4 tablespoons low-fat small curd cottage cheese
- 4 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to broil (or use toaster oven).
- Split muffins in half.
- Spread 1 tablespoon cottage cheese or peanut butter on each half.
- Place under broiler until bubbly and the muffin rims are toasted (about 2 minutes).
- Serve with fresh fruit and nonfat milk.
Per Serving: 245 calories, 11 gm protein, 31 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 6 gm fiber, 455 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK Don’t skip breakfast. It’s an excellent opportunity to give yourself a head start on your daily requirements for fiber and calcium by having cereal (look for those with at least five grams of fiber per serving), fresh fruit, nonfat milk, or yogurt.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.