This simple corn bread recipe (serves 8) is just as tasty as the one on the box of cornmeal, but has half the calories and no cholesterol.
Try this with: Chipotle Black Bean Chili
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 2 egg whites or ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat oil, egg whites and milk together then combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in nonstick 8x8-inch pan or pie plate. Bake 15 minutes or until done.
Per Serving: 176 calories, 5 grams protein, 27 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 4 grams mono, 1 gram fiber, 29 grams sodium
THE SEASONED COOK To increase the fiber in this recipe, substitute whole wheat flour for white. However, since it doesn't rise as high, you may want to use muffin tins instead.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.